Friday, December 5, 2008

Priya(1978)

"Darling, darling, darling, I love you, love you, love you. Darling, darling, darling, I love you..."

**sigh** I miss uploading videos to YouTube. I feel like such a failure for being unable to violate copyright laws like the gazillion or so other users. Anyway...

I watched this for the umpteenth time last night. I wish I could clearly articulate why I like this movie so much. There's an explanation floating in my head, but it would make sense to only me, so I'll just say that, among other things, it makes me nostalgic for the seventies, and Sridevi is, well, Sridevi. I love her. I'm so glad Nehaflix had this in stock, because I was kicking myself for the longest time for not ordering it from India Weekly many moons ago.

Rajnikanth looked suave and every inch the hero. I'm firmly on Team Kamal, but I'll admit that Rajini is charismatic, and has star quality. I also liked him in Naan Adimai Illai, 16 Vayathinile, Ninaithale Inikkum, and Gayatri. I haven't watched any of his recent films, but at some point, I may check out Sivaji and try to focus more on Shriya's beauty than the obvious age gap between her and Rajini.

I wish I could find information about Asna, the actress who played Rajini's love interest. I thought she was beautiful, and I liked that a non-gori was cast as the foreign girlfriend. I'm not sure of Asna's ethnicity, but her character was Malay-Indian. Since my Google-fu comes up with nada, I'll assume that in real life she was at least part Malay.

Trivial blather: I think the dress Sri was wearing when she first meets Rajini is the same one she wore in Taxi Driver. And the white dress she had on in the scene when she was signing those contracts may have been borrowed from the set of Sivappu Rojakkal(or vice versa).

No comments: