Friday, December 12, 2008

Satyam(2008)

10/07/08: I don't have the DVD, but I'm watching a five minute preview online. If I were so inclined, I would download and install the Veoh player so that I could view the entire movie, but I'd rather not do that. I'm leery of downloading stuff from the internet.

From what I've seen, it looks like it might be worth getting the 2-in-1 if/when bhavanidvd offers it for $9.99 or less. Nayantara is the main reason I want to see it, and I'm also intrigued by Vishal's six-pack abs. I don't expect anything great, just mindless, escapist fare, something you'd watch on a lazy Saturday or Sunday afternoon while lounging in bed and eating a big tub of popcorn.

ETA 12/12/08: I have the DVD, and I watched most of it last night. I fell asleep during the "Paal Pappali" song, so maybe I missed something great, but my initial reaction? I hate it. I can see why it flopped at the box-office. Maybe after repeat viewings it will slowly grow on me, but right now, I wish I had ordered Dhaam Dhoom instead.

Other thoughts:
I thought the key to enjoying this movie would be to not take it as seriously as the performers did. That didn't work.

According to Wikipedia, Vishal is only 31, but the hairstyle, thick moustache, and his stern facial expression made him appear 45, IMO. I think he should go back to whatever look he had going on during his blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameo in Dishyum. IIRC, his 'tache was less abundant, and he wasn't sporting that pouffed-up, immobile 'do. From what little I saw, he appeared quite handsome.

His six-pack abs were a visual treat, however.

Nayan looked pretty but with regards to her so-called comedy scenes, "She hams badly", to quote a reviewer.

I am not a fan of children in non-kid themed movies. The kiddie shenanigans should've been left out entirely.

There were so many extraneous fight and comedy scenes that I kept forgetting what the movie was supposed to be about. At one point, I wanted to give this film some focus tablets.

I was "eh" on Upendra in Aishwarya but I liked him in Satyam. I wish he had gotten more screen time.

The "Chellame Chellame" song was nice, and the picturisation was sexy. I would be very suprised if Nayantara and Vishal didn't have an affair during the filming of this movie, because as soon as I saw them striking poses and getting up close and personal with one another I thought, "Yeah, they had sex."

The only thing I liked about "Ada Gada Gada" was Nayantara in that Catwoman costume. She looked hot. Too bad she wasn't wielding a whip and role-playing with Vishal.

The "Loose Penne" refrain was funny. I figure it was a poke at Nayan's ex, Simbu.

Considering how bad Satyam is, I should've liked it, but I guess even I have my limits. I'll try to watch it again tonight, this time in its entirety, and see if I feel differently.

ETA 12/15/08: I watched it a couple more times and I guess it's not quite as bad as I originally thought, but the annoying comedy sequences, silly stunt fighting scenes, and long-ass speech delivered by Vishal at the end have killed its chances for further repeat viewing, at least in the immediate future.

BTW, I ordered Dhaam Dhoom and Kuruvi today. I watched the latter online, so I know what I'm getting, but I fervently hope that the former is much better than the 5 minute Veoh preview suggested.

ETA 12/22/08: Okay, I lied. I HAVE watched it repeatedly. I'll blame my fondness for "Chellame Chellame" and Vishal's bald head. My final verdict is that it's really not THAT bad. I could still do without the kiddie antics, the lame comedy scenes, and Vishal's superhuman stunts, but overall, it makes for pretty decent mindless viewing. Even Vishal's long-ass speech and the "Ada Gada Gada" song have grown on me. I won't say it's one of my favorites, but at least I've watched it enough to feel that I've gotten my money's worth.

No comments: