Friday, October 24, 2008

Billa(2007)

My initial thoughts, based on Wednesday's viewing. I might add to this once I get the DVD and watch it a few more times.

With all of the hype surrounding Nayantara wearing a bikini in this movie, I was expecting something along the lines of Madhavi's bikini scene in Tik...Tik...Tik. But when I saw the bikini top-sarong combo I thought, "Is that it?" I was doubly disappointed when the camera didn't show the lower part of her body when she dropped the sarong and got into the pool. I'm guessing it was for modesty purposes. Fine. That's what I get for letting my imagination run wild.

While I'm on the subject of Nayan, I'll state that I thought she looked best in the white top, white mini-skirt, and leather jacket she wore towards the end of the movie.

Namitha didn't have anything to do except look pretty. Dancing is definitely not her forte. Her movements during the "Naan Meedum Naanaga" song looked awkward and out-of-place. Mumaith Khan would've been a better choice, IMO, because she moves well and would've added the needed "oomph!" to the number.

At first glance, I thought it was Brinda Parekh in the "Sei Ethavathu Sei"song, but closer inspection revealed that the girl--who goes by the name Rose Dawn--was slimmer in the midsection and wore far less pancake makeup. And then I realized that I saw her in an earlier scene.

Ajith was the perfect casting choice. I can't imagine anyone else in the role of Billa.

Santhanam has become the new go-to comedian, it seems. Whether or not I'll grow to dread his presence remains to be seen.

I found the ending anticlimatic. I wish there had been more of a bang, whether literally or figuratively.

All in all, I liked it. Billa's intro scene is my favorite so far. I found it both clever and comical, mainly because I would've been just as easily distracted.

No comments: