Sunday, October 12, 2008

Alai(2003)

I first spotted this movie on indiaweekly.com while searching for Trisha Krishan titles. I never got around to ordering it because, at the time, I didn't know whether or not I'd like the hero. Fast forward a couple of years and I'm checking indiaweekly for this movie again, and this time, not just for Trisha Krishan, but for Simbu, who I took a liking to after watching Vallabha. It was out-of-stock. I thought, "Ya snooze, ya lose. Let me check anytamil." Less than a week later, it arrived in my mailbox.

I would describe it as "a cute movie, if you don't think too hard". It's utterly predictable, and the usual boy meets girl, they hate each other, pranks ensue, heroine has a change of heart, a song or two later, they're in love, tragedy strikes, and just when it looks like the lovers are about to be separated, everything works out in the end. (How's that for a run-on sentence?)

Quick thoughts:

Raghuvaran plays father roles really well. I also liked him as Dhanush's dad in Yaaradi Nee Mohini.

I recognized Simbu's little brother, Kuralarasan, from Panchathanthram.

Trisha was cute, as usual, but I thought her pancake makeup was too thick. I liked the streaked hair she was sporting, though.

I would've liked the movie A LOT better if Vivek's comedy track had been axed. While I thought the first bit where he pretended to be dying of cancer and scammed a woman into giving him money was chuckle-worthy, after that, I was like, "Okay, enough already!" Generally speaking, I'm not a fan of comedy tracks. I feel that they interrupt the flow of a film, and are usually more lame or vulgar than funny, IMO.

I enjoyed the movie, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're a die-hard Simbu fan. I think it's the weakest of his films. As many viewings as it took for Manmathan to finally grow on me, I would recommend that, or Totti Jaya, or even Kuthu, instead of Alai.

No comments: