Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Arjun(2004)

If I were to have a greedy, murderous mother-in-law, I'd want it to be Sarita's character in this movie. Watching her look all crazy-eyed and ready to kill you over 10 paise was the best part of this flick. I bet if Mahesh Babu had fought her instead of Prakash Raj at the end, she would've won.

Speaking of Prakash Raj, I actually liked him in this movie. Normally, whenever I see him playing yet another villian I'm like, "Whatever." But here, I was kinda rooting for him and Sarita because they made such a good evil pair.

Shriya Saran didn't have much to do except look wide-eyed and open-mouthed, and appear in four of the six songs. Very pretty, though. Purple is a good color on her.

The sister sentiment was sweet. The scene where Arjun(Mahesh) is running down the road with Meenakshi(Keerthi Reddy) in his arms while she's going into labor made me go, "Awwww...I wish I had a brother like that!"

I also wish there had been fewer fight and action scenes to go along with the absence of a separate comedy track. With regards to the former, the cheesy graphics brought to mind a quote from Beavis and Butthead: "These special effects aren't very special!"

The picture quality isn't the greatest, either. Most of the time, I felt as though I were watching an oft-viewed rental tape. But for $4.99, I guess I can't be too suprised.

In spite of those quibbles, I liked the movie. It's not great, but it's watchable. And, unlike Heartbeats, it didn't make me go "WTF?" at the end. (More on Heartbeats in a future post, hopefully.)

No comments: