Monday, June 22, 2009

Preminchu Priya(1997)

Just as I figured, this is the dubbed Telugu version of Pagaivan. Shortly after I popped it into my DVD player I thought, "This is the best $2.99 I've spent!" Not because the film is a cinematic piece of art but because A) I didn't have to plunk down $20 for a custom VCD of the Tamil original and B) the picture quality is relatively better than what I usually see on these kinds of cheapie DVDs. Also, it's the sort of brain-dead entertainment I usually like. As I get older, I find that movies that don't require me to think, or even pay close attention, are often my best bet. When I was younger and even more irritatingly pretentious, I would've scoffed at something like this. But now, I embrace it and thank god for bhavanidvd's $2.99 section.

I'm convinced I've seen this movie before. Well, not this particular flick, but the "poor-kidnapper-and-rich-kidnappee-fall-in-love" storyline feels awfully familiar. Perhaps I'm thinking of Excess Baggage, but I don't think so.

Anjala Zhaveri does the glam doll thing very well. I still think she looks better with glasses, though. Facially, she reminds of a Hollywood actress and I'm going slightly nutso trying to think of who. And as a non sequitur, let me add that the scene where she receives a blood transfusion reminds me of the one in Dum, where Rakshita donated blood to an injured Simbu.

I find Sathyraj disturbingly appealing. He's not a looker; whenever he appears onscreen I think, "Slack-jawed yokel". But at the same time, I know that he could get it. I'm not gonna lie, or pretend otherwise. He could totally talk me into it. There's just something about him that has a strange hold over me.

Parts of "Ohh My Butterfly Neeyae" and "Raajanae Yuvaraajanae" were obviously "inspired by" Mariah Carey's "Dreamlover" and Miami Sound Machine's "Rhythm's Gonna Get You"(two of my least favorite songs, btw). The saving grace of "Raajanae Yuvaraajanae" is that the picturisation reminds me of Rakshak's "Sundara Sundara", particularly when Anjala is dancing on the rocks.

Unrelated: I wish bhavani had the dubbed Telugu version of Kalloori Vasal(and preferably for only $2.99). The 2-in-1 DVD I recently ordered had another feature instead. **wail** As much as I like Ajith, I cringe at the thought of paying $20 for a custom VCD. I think I'll have to amuse myself by watching the songs on YouTube.

No comments: