Friday, February 20, 2009

Priyamanavale(2000)

I had a feeling of déjà vu while watching this, and it turns out it's a remake of a Telugu movie, Pavitra Bandham, starring Venkatesh and Soundarya. I haven't seen Pavitra Bandham, but for some reason, I sensed that Priyamanavale's plot(wealthy, westernized youth agrees to marry poor, traditional girl for one year) was a rehash of an earlier flick. Strange. Anyway...

This is quite entertaining, in spite of a few bumps: the time from when Vijay and Simran get married up until he sends her back home on the day of their wedding anniversary.

WTF?: just about everything that happens afterwards. Like the Energizer Bunny, this movie just kept on going and going and going.

That's my initial impression after one viewing. I'll rewatch it, but not right away, because I'm still reeling from my feeling of "Good god, will this movie EVER end?" According to the back of the DVD box, the running time is 151 minutes, but it felt like 181 minutes.

Another thought: Simran is gorgeous, and looks good in both traditional and western outfits. Also, her character's self-sacrificing nature reminds me of my mother.

No comments: