Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Red(2002)

Ajith is RED. Each letter stands for the only English words he knows: Revolution, Education, Development. He's a rowdy with a heart of gold. He believes the children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way, etc., etc. He becomes the subject of a weekly serial and gains a huge fan following. He does good deeds. He bashes up the bad guys. He's blamed for murder. He's proven innocent. He's reunited with his lady love in the end. Finito.

Well, not quite. There's a little more to the story than that, but honestly, for me, this movie is all about the "Til Til Til" song. I always jump to it first whenever I watch the DVD. Initially, I was sketchy about the picturisation because I didn't feel it meshed with the song's bouncy, show tune-y-ness. But now I think it fits in a weird way. It looks like something out of Showgirls:






Plus, I like Vindhya:



If she were still acting, I'd nominate her to play Silk Smitha in a biopic, because I think she closely resembles her:







I also like the recently mentioned Priya Gill:







Most of all, I like how this film made me realize that no matter how fat, bald, and/or flabby Ajith is, I will always want to...you-know-what him. Even when he looks like this:

No comments: