Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Nuvvu Naaku Nachav(2001)

Why does Prakash Raj look like FILF material in this movie? How can I derive any satisfaction from my "hai, it's Prakash Raj, again" sightings if I'm torn between wanting to do him and wishing that he were my daddy? I'm ashamed to admit that I found it difficult to concentrate on the rest of the film because I was too busy drooling over him. Damn you and your unexpected hotness, Prakash Raj!

The movie itself was okay. I had zero expectations, so I wasn't disappointed, just a bit underwhelmed. It was slow to start, and dragged in places, and I thought Venkatesh appeared more like Aarti's older brother than her love interest. But he was likeable, and I think he has a charming screen presence. Aarti--the sole reason I bought this flick--looked good, especially in the "Vunna Maata Cheppalevu", "Okkasari Cheppaleva", and "Naa Chupe Ninu" songs.

Just for a change of pace, I would like to see a movie where the soon-to-be-wed heroine doesn't develop feelings for the wastrel-with-a-heart-of-gold hero. Instead, his attraction remains one-sided and at the end, he's left to wallow in the pain of his unrequited love while she marries the intended groom. That type of ending might not go over too well with some audiences, but for me, it would be totally relatable, if a tad depressing. I have a feeling that such a film exists**, but I've yet to stumble upon it.


**Mungaru Male comes close, but again, I'm thinking more along the lines of, "He's in love. She's indifferent. Cordial, but distant. He realizes he'll never the scale the wall she's put up, so he suffers silently", blah blah blah.

No comments: